Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend in Rewind: 10/1 - 10/3


Don't get me wrong, this weekend was a blast, but ¡ay caramba! was it busy! I managed to make it through my entire Friday 5...and then some!

Friday: Friday was great! The wife and I, along with our good friend Dan spent the evening at Gasthof's for their annual Oktoberfest celebration. We all enjoyed a nice cold beer, jumbo pretzel and some fun! Dan and I, along with some of Dan's other friends, played the nail game. The objective of the game was to see who could pound their nail completely into the log first...this is not as easy as it sounds as the hammer head was smaller than the nail head. Needless to say I lost and Dan won - must be all the recent remodeling he is doing! Dan the handy-man!
Dan and I playing the nail game - If you look close you will see how narrow the hammer head is!
Amanda and I sitting at a table inside one of the tents.
Saturday: Saturday was a very busy day as well! I was able to scratch two things off my Friday 5 list; cooking & sushi! Saturday morning I slept in until about 8:30 or so - it was glorious! I managed to fulfill my weekly cooking fix in two different ways - cooking and baking. I wasn't originally planning on baking anything, but we had no dessert in the apartment so I decided to make monster cookies! These were my favorite cookies growing up! Thanks for making these, Mom!
Cookies ready for the oven...mmm so good! *drool*
Maybe I was slightly sleep-deprived or a little out of my mind this early in the morning, but for some reason I decided to double the cookie batch. I figured we had the ingredients on hand...might as well go all out! Little did I know exactly how much a double batch would actually make. My 1 hour cookie baking turned into about 3 :( I didn't get an exact count, but I am pretty sure I made over 100 cookies!
These cookies filled the pumpkin jar plus two large tupperware containers! We're gonna need more milk!
So as if I didn't have enough cooking time I also made a nice lunch for The Wife and I - enchilada stuffed shells! These were really spicy, but really good! Oh, and they took a heck of a lot less time to prepare than the cookies! Woot!
Jalapeños, green chilies, cheese, ground beef, seasonings and pasta - amazing!
Later that evening The Wife and I went to a make-you-own sushi dinner with some of her law school friends and their significant others. It was a lot of fun meeting her friends and learning how to make sushi! Our sushi contained a combo of the following: salmon, fat tuna, yell-tail tuna, scallops, cucumber, avocado, some pickled melon and rice. I have to admit that now knowing how to make sushi it will be that much harder to pay for the expensive little fish rolls in restaurants! The sushi tasted amazing and I would definitely do it again!

Sunday: Like most of Minnesota, we awoke Sunday morning to frost! Not fun! So instead of staying in the warm bed I decided to go outside and take a picture of the frost...why? I have no idea! This week was confirmation Sunday at church and therefore at coffee hour we got cake! Nothing like having a small piece of cake and coffee at 10:15 in the morning :) Later that afternoon I made my way over to the Washburn Games to help out with volunteering and it was blast! The weather was great and it was a lot of fun hanging out with coworkers and helping the little kids bat at the baseball station! I am definitely planning on helping out next year, though I hope the organization can manage to get a lot more kids to attend. I there were only about 75 - 100 kids. And to cap off an already Amazing weekend The Wife and I were able to watch The Amazing Race later that evening!

I hope everyone else was able to get out and enjoy their weekend! Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. FYI - the "nail game" is called Hammerschlagen :) Cookies look great Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Rachelle
    Oh Hammerschlagen...have you played it before? If so, where? The cookies were great, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I have played it at the Home Expo or something like that where a construction company had it at their booth. Kind of a fun game :)

    ReplyDelete