Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Snow Brings Out the Crazies!

I honestly don't know why I am still surprised...year after year after year the same cycle repeats - we get even the slightest amount of snow and the driving population in the Twin Cities goes absolutely bananas! This ^&%* is bananas - b-a-n-a-n-a-s! Um...what? Aaaanyway... Today the first snowflakes fell for the season and believe me it was not anything major - I have yet to see any accumulation on the ground. That doesn't sound so bad, huh? I didn't think so either, which is why I was so surprised on my way to work when I saw two fender benders and a traffic jam my entire way to work...my 15 minute drive this morning took me 45 minutes!

So, why do people become idiots when it snows? I could understand bad driving if it snowed in Texas, Mississippi, etc., but Minnesota?!?! Come on people we get snow EVERY YEAR! As I see it there are three types of winter drivers in the Twin Cities area:

1 - Normal, cautious people. These drivers drive according to the weather conditions. If there is just light snow like today, they may slow down 5-10 mph...just enough to be sure they can stop in time. They are the good defensive drivers - we want more of them!

2 - Uber-cautios nut jobs. The UCNJ's are just that...uber-cautious! On a day like today - no snow accumulation, just wet roads with snow falling, they drive 30-40 mph below the speed limit, because "OMG!!! The roads are wet and light snow is falling and I forgot my snow chains and studded tires!"

3 - The immortal driver. These are the "I have 4-wheel drive and I can drive how I want now get out of my way (floors it)!" These are the people who continue to drive 70 mph in a 55 mph zone even when the roads are wet and it is snowing! These are the people that get 1-2 feet behind the UCNJ drivers, which ultimately causes accidents, traffic jams and most importantly annoyance!

Fellow Twin Cities drivers - if you fall into or know someone who falls into category 2 or 3 please, please stop being such a pain in the neck on the roadway! Maybe a better option for you would be to ride a camel to work...slow, steady and you wouldn't be bothering me or the other normal drivers on the road!

2 comments:

  1. Yet another reminder of why I don't live in the cities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, Rachelle - I LOVE living in the cities, just hate the snow drivers. This is just one more reason as to why I very much dislike MN winters. Hawaii - here I come (I wish)!

    ReplyDelete