Thursday, October 7, 2010

New Pet Peeve - The "Handy" Cashier

I discovered a new pet peeve of mine yesterday afternoon - when a cashier insists on putting things on the counter instead of handing them to you!

My day had been going great yesterday! I was very busy & productive at work, the Twins were playing the Yankees in the playoffs & Randy Moss had officially joined the Vikings! I was as happy as anyone could be - for a Wednesday night. :P I arrived in The Grove and picked The Mrs. up at the transit station. We headed over to the liquor store to get [me] some beer for the Twins game (in case you didn't watch...they lost...again). It took me a while to decide what I wanted - I am a little indecisive at times, but I finally settled on Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest; it seemed like a fitting variety given the time of year.

I grabbed my case of beer and proceeded to the checkout line and it was here that I discovered my newest pet peeve. I nicely handed my ID and debit card to the cashier...in her hand! She did her 'cashierly' duty and made sure I wasn't some punk trying to buy booze under age. Seeing that she was nearly done comparing my photo ID with my face I extended my hand indicating that I wanted her to place my ID in my hand. To my surprise she placed my ID squarely underneath my hand. I shrugged this off thinking that she might not have seen my hand...She then ran my debit card in her machine. I again extended my hand to take my debit card. This time she looked straight at me, smiled and then again placed my debit card on the counter. I proceeded to sign my receipt and kindly asked for a copy. She then printed out my receipt and again placed it under my hand on the counter!

I am sure some of you are thinking that I am overreacting, but I assure you I am not! Whether you are a cashier, waiter/waitress, hotel greeter, etc., if you are in the hospitality or customer service business your #1 priority should be pleasing your customer. An angry customer = potential loss of business...that MGM liquor store down the street is looking mighty inviting right now!

Happy Thursday, everyone! =) What is your biggest pet peeve?

4 comments:

  1. I'm with you—that's super annoying. I've written about this before, but my biggest pet peeve by far is when people write checks in busy stores, causing the line to back up while the cashier takes all of the required information and processes the check. It's 2010, people—time to get a debit card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Steve on this one...nothing is more annoying than getting in line behind someone that is taking forever in the check-out line whether it be paying with check, waiting for someone to get that one last item they forgot at the complete opposite end of the store or applying for that store credit card! Especially if you are in a hurry which I almost always am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rachelle & Steve
    I couldn't agree more...people need to get with the times and use a debit card! It is very annoying to have to wait 30 minutes in the store when your trip was planned to be under 5 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I am a grocery store Manager, I have to agree totally with all of you. It is mostly the elder people that write out checks and seem to have all the time in the world. Just remember, someday we will all be that age and more than likely will have slowed our pace down a little. So be patient, life is to short to be in such a rush.

    ReplyDelete